title icon


You can vote if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • 18 years of age on or before election day;
  • a resident of Manitoba for at least six months before election day; and
  • in the case of a byelection, a resident of the electoral division in which the byelection is being held.

If you are unable to go in person to a voting place due to a disability, you and/or your caregiver can apply to vote in your home by contacting your returning officer.

Voting will be available for patients in hospitals and other care facilities on election day.

You can apply for absentee voting if you are eligible to vote but can't make it to a voting place during advance voting or on election day.

If you have already been enumerated, contact the returning officer in your new electoral division once you have moved. If you have not yet been enumerated, let the enumerator know that you will be moving before the election. If you do not receive a visit at your new residence shortly after your move, contact the returning officer in your new electoral division as soon as possible.

Braille ballot templates are available at all voting places. Magnifying lenses and large print lists of candidates are also available. A Braille list of candidates is available on election day and at some advance voting locations. You can also bring someone with you to help you vote. They must be 18 years of age or older. A voting officer may also assist you.

If you cannot mark the ballot yourself, you can bring someone with you to help you vote. They must be 18 years of age or older. A voting officer may also assist you.

The Voters List is not publicly posted. However, if you are concerned about your personal security, you can apply to have your name omitted or obscured (blacked out) from the Voters List and replaced with a personal security number. A person who has been assigned a personal security number may vote only by homebound ballot. You can discuss this option with your enumerator, or by contacting your returning officer during an election. To find out more, contact us.

You can vote if you do not have a permanent address. If you are staying at a shelter or hostel, you vote in the electoral division in which your shelter is located. Many shelters have voting places set up on election day.

Yes. Just bring government issued photo identification, or two other documents with your name, and sign an oath.


The following conditions apply if you are studying at a school located in Manitoba, but live away from home.

  • If your course of study is longer than six months you will vote in the electoral division you live in while attending school.
  • If your course of study is shorter than six months you will vote in your home electoral division.


Eligible voters attending school outside Manitoba can still vote in a Manitoba provincial election.

To qualify as a student absentee voter you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18 years old on or before election day
  • intend to return to live in Manitoba when you are done your studies

Click here to apply for absentee voting.

  • No literature, sign, poster, or flag having reference to the election, can be posted within 50 metres (164 ft.) of the entrance to a building that is a voting place [s. 124(1) of EA];
  • It should be noted that the Returning Office itself is also a voting place on days when there is absentee voting or advance voting as well as election day (the last two weeks of the election).
  • All temporary street signs are covered by the City of Winnipeg's temporary street signs bylaw. You can view this by-law online at the City of Winnipeg website. For locations outside Winnipeg, refer to your local municipality.
  • For the policy governing signs posted in the Provincial Road/Trunk Highway (PR/PTH) Right-of-ways, click here.
  • Every employee is entitled to three consecutive hours to vote at the discretion of the employer (i.e., not any three hours you want) [s. 13 of EA]. If you are off work at 5:00 pm then you automatically have three hours (5:00 pm to 8:00 pm).
  • If you work a shift from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm you have the right to take time to vote during the work day.
  • "The discretion of the employer" means employers may adjust work hours to accommodate time off for voting (i.e., change in shift hours from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
email election@elections.mb.ca | phone 204-945-3225 | 1-866-628-6837

Elections Manitoba © 2016