Elections Manitoba is an independent office of the Legislative Assembly responsible for delivering free and fair provincial elections. All employees with Elections Manitoba (EM) must be non-partisan in perception and fact, and sign a confidentiality agreement.
Under the general supervision of the Returning Officer (RO) and the Assistant Returning Officer (ARO), the Training Supervisor (TS) is appointed in each electoral division for the purpose of training election officers. The TS conducts in-person scenario based training with election officers to prepare them for their role for election days. This includes online training and technology based processes for advance voting and paper-based processes used on election days. It is preferred the TS is a resident of the electoral division. The TS must remain impartial in all dealings during an electoral event and not engage in any partisans activity.
- Plan and organize training sessions for election officials, schedule training during the day, evenings and on weekends, including at various locations in rural electoral divisions to meet the needs of the staff hired.
- Support the recruitment process by scheduling all elections officers into specific training programs throughout the election period. The TS needs to provide a workable schedule of classes that takes into consideration the large number of election officers in each position that need to be t rained. They must plan for the appropriate size of classes, various training locations (for rural/larger EDs), and coordinate the availability of training venues.
- Administer the online LMS voting officials training program in the electoral division including supporting election officials in its use.
- Provide reminders to election officials that have not completed the online training required prior to their scheduled classroom session.
- Prepare for classroom training sessions, using the training resources developed by Elections Manitoba including delivering supplies and materials, and classroom set-up and clean-up.
- Conduct training sessions using the training resources developed by Elections Manitoba.
- Monitor attendance and ensure election officials receive payment for all training completed.
- Training background is preferred. The training supervisor will use these skills to deliver multiple packaged training programs throughout the election period.
- Proficiency with computers and technology. Voting processes are becoming more computerized. Training of advance voting staff requires a familiarity with teaching the use of computers and web based software. The TS needs to troubleshoot basic problems that election officers experience as they learn to use the technology (logging in, browsing, using bar code scanners, etc.)
- Planning and organizational skills. During the election period, the returning office runs at a fast pace in a busy and deadline driven environment
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and accurately to election officers when delivering training programs.
- Flexibility, as the training supervisor's role commences with the issue of the writ of election, which may take place anytime between now and October 2023. This role requires flexibility in both the start date of work as well as the hours of work throughout the election period.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, and can stand for extended periods of times.
- Experience with the electoral process is considered an asset.
- $16.95 per hour
A T4 slip is issued for money earned.