RETURNING OFFICERS AND ASSISTANT RETURNING OFFICERS
Deliver democracy to your community. Help your community exercise their right to vote in the next provincial election. Returning officers and assistant returning officers do meaningful work important to our province. Elections Manitoba is looking for experienced and dedicated Manitobans who know their neighbourhoods well and want to use their skills to run the next election.
Returning officers and assistant returning officers are responsible for managing all election activities in their electoral division.
Keewatinook - Map (PDF, 8.8 MB)
What does it take to run the election your electoral division? To be considered, you must:
- Be non-partisan in perception and fact
- Be interested in participating in democracy – connecting voters to voting opportunities and ensuring candidates can run in their electoral division
- Be organized, detail-oriented and able to manage a heavy workload
- Have strong leadership skills and the ability to hire, train and direct approximately 120 employees over the course of the election
- Demonstrate outstanding problem-solving skills, excellent inter-personal skills and the ability to be a strong communicator in writing and in-person
- Not be afraid of hard work and long days
- Enjoy achieving success and delivering a free and fair election
This is a different kind of job. It happens every four years and it is an intense, demanding, rewarding and invigorating task. Some things you should know:
- We’ll get you prepared; you will receive training for all aspects of the election.
- There is support for you and your office – a seasoned support team will be available to answer questions and guide you through the process, knowledgeable field staff will come to the office to help out and sort things out when needed
- Sophisticated technology helps deliver services and helps you stay on track with the very large to-do list involved in an election
- Your feedback and experiences will help shape the next election – Elections Manitoba is committed to improving services to all Manitoba voters
- You’ll learn a lot, you’ll do a lot and you’ll make a difference.
- Eligible voter (18 years or over, Canadian citizen, Manitoba resident)
- Satisfactory criminal record check
- Remain completely non-partisan for the term of appointment
This is a term position with some part-time work and paid training before the election, starting September 2022. The election is currently set for October 3, 2023, but may be called sooner. At minimum applicants should be prepared to commit to full-time work August, September, October 2023. During the 28-day election period returning officers and assistant returning officers work longer hours, seven days a week.
Note that legislation permits employees to take an unpaid leave of absence from their current employment to work as an election official. For more information, contact us.
Approximately $15,000 for returning officers
Approximately $13,000 for assistant returning officers
Elections Manitoba appoints returning officers and assistant returning officers based on merit with respect to qualifications and skills.
The selection process includes up to six steps:
- Screening of the application for position of returning officer and assistant returning officer.
- Computer-based skills assessment. All applicants are required to complete this assessment using a computer. Elections Manitoba will provide information on completing the assessment when required.
- Reference checks: Applicants who are invited to interview will be asked to provide references.
- Criminal record check: Having a criminal record does not necessarily disqualify an applicant. Elections Manitoba will provide information on this process when required.
- Some candidates may have a second interview.
Elections Manitoba collects personal information only when you voluntarily provide it. We use this information only for employment purposes. Elections Manitoba makes every effort to protect personal information against loss and unauthorized access. We retain personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill its intended purpose(s).
Elections Manitoba will use the personal information you provide in this application form to determine suitability for employment. Access to your personal information is restricted to select employees.
For more information, please email us , or phone 204-945-7940, toll-free: 1-866-628-6837 ext. 7940.