Teaching Citizenship, Democracy & Participation in Elections
Due to COVID-19, Elections Manitoba is not currently offering Your Power to Choose workshops. You will find a variety of other learning resources for teaching about democracy and elections on our website.
Your Power To Choose
An integrated education program developed by Elections Manitoba and educators, Your Power to Choose includes a curriculum guide with hands-on activities, in-class workshops and resources for running student elections.
Why Your Power to Choose:
- Creates life-long learning skills and the habit of participation among Manitoba youth
- Integrates the complete election experience with Manitoba’s grades 6, 9 and 11 social studies curricula
- Adapts to many other classroom and learning levels, particularly grades 4 and 5
- Focuses on interactive learning - students learn how to make informed choices, experience the impact and power of their choices
- Features handouts, worksheets and support materials such as ballot boxes and voting screens
This guide was developed to meet a goal common to educators and Elections Manitoba – to create lifelong skills and develop the habit of civic participation among Manitoba youth. Learning strategies and activities in the guide are engaging and interactive, and adaptable to many classrooms and learning abilities. Students learn how to assess issues, make informed decisions, and experience the impact and power of their choice
These standalone activities from the Your Power to Choose guide connect to the curriculum and can be adapted for your classroom.
- All content links to the 9 Essential Skills, as outlined by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
- The lessons accommodate three learning levels, reflecting the stages of learning identified by Manitoba Advanced Education and Literacy
- The Guide is divided into four phases, mirroring the different parts of the election experience
- All lessons in the guide are adaptable and stand-alone; and they include all materials required to teach the lesson
- The lessons are engaging and interactive, including an election trivia game and a mock election
Elections Manitoba provides a resource package for student election organizers. It includes the following tools to support the student voting experience.
- Ballot box
- Voting screen
- Election To Do Checklist
- CD with forms and other support materials
Download the election resource package (ZIP, 917.7 KB).
To request materials or for more information on the Your Power To Choose program, please contact us: